§3922. Issuance of license
1. License; January 1st. Each owner or keeper of a dog at the age of 6 months or more, on or before January lst of each year, shall obtain a license:
A. From the clerk of the municipality where the dog is kept; [2001, c. 422, §6 (AMD).]
B. From the dog recorder in the unorganized territory where the dog is kept or, in the absence of a duly authorized dog recorder, from a dog recorder in the nearest municipality or unorganized territory in the same county where the dog is kept; [2003, c. 405, §10 (AMD).]
C. From a person authorized to issue licenses under section 3923-F; or [2013, c. 115, §9 (AMD).]
D. From the department using the Internet in accordance with section 3923-G. [2003, c. 405, §12 (NEW).]
[ 2013, c. 115, §9 (AMD) .]
2. License; after January 1st. The owner or keeper, within 10 days of the conditions of paragraph A or B being met, shall obtain a license, if between January lst and October 15th of any year:
A. A dog reaches the age of 6 months or more; or [1997, c. 690, §14 (AMD).]
B. A person becomes the owner or keeper of a dog aged 6 months or more. [1997, c. 690, §14 (AMD).]
[ 1997, c. 690, §14 (AMD) .]
3. Proof of immunization. A municipal clerk may not issue a license for a dog until the applicant has filed with the clerk proof that the dog has been immunized against rabies in accordance with rules adopted by the Commissioner of Health and Human Services, except that the requirement of immunization may be waived by the clerk under conditions set forth by the Commissioner of Health and Human Services.
The commissioner shall adopt rules that allow the clerk and the commissioner to accept valid proof of immunization against rabies provided by another state.
[ 2007, c. 439, §12 (AMD) .]
3-A. Exception to immunization requirement for wolf hybrids.
[ 2007, c. 439, §13 (RP) .]
3-B. Proof of permanent identification and other restrictions on licensing a wolf hybrid. A municipal clerk may not issue a license for a wolf hybrid until the applicant has filed with the clerk proof that:
A. The wolf hybrid has been permanently identified in accordance with section 3921-A; [2011, c. 100, §11 (NEW).]
B. The wolf hybrid has been spayed or neutered; and [2011, c. 100, §11 (NEW).]
C. The wolf hybrid was licensed in this State in 2011 by:
(1) June 1, 2011 if the wolf hybrid was 6 months old or older on June 1, 2011; or
(2) December 31, 2011 if the wolf hybrid was less than 6 months old on June 1, 2011. [2011, c. 100, §11 (NEW).]
[ 2011, c. 100, §11 (AMD) .]
4. Service dogs. If a service dog has not been previously registered or licensed by the municipal clerk to whom the application is being made, the clerk may not register the dog nor issue to its owner or keeper a license and tag that identifies the dog as a service dog unless the applicant presents written evidence to the municipal clerk that the dog meets the definition of "service dog." For the purpose of this subsection "written evidence" means a service dog certification form approved by the department in consultation with the Maine Human Rights Commission.
[ 2007, c. 664, §11 (AMD) .]
5. Form of license. The license must state the breed, sex, color and markings of the dog, whether the animal is a dog or wolf hybrid and the name and address of the owner or keeper. If the person applying for a license declares that the dog is a wolf hybrid, the license must state that the dog is a wolf hybrid. The license must be issued in triplicate and the original must be given to the applicant and the remaining 2 copies must be retained by the municipal clerk or dog recorder.
[ 1997, c. 704, §9 (AMD) .]
6. Designation of wolf hybrid. An owner or keeper of a dog declared as a wolf hybrid may not change the license designation. A dog that has been declared a wolf hybrid must be treated as a wolf hybrid in accordance with Title 22, chapter 251, subchapter 5. The procedure prescribed under Title 22, chapter 251, subchapter 5 for a wolf hybrid suspected of having rabies does not change based on proof that the wolf hybrid has received a rabies vaccination.
[ 2007, c. 439, §14 (AMD) .]
1987, c. 383, §3 (NEW). 1987, c. 643, §2 (AMD). 1993, c. 468, §25 (AMD). 1993, c. 657, §§20,21 (AMD). 1995, c. 409, §4 (AMD). 1997, c. 690, §14 (AMD). 1997, c. 704, §§7-10 (AMD). 2001, c. 129, §3 (AMD). 2001, c. 422, §§6,7 (AMD). 2003, c. 405, §§10-12 (AMD). 2003, c. 689, §B7 (REV). 2007, c. 439, §§12-14 (AMD). 2007, c. 664, §11 (AMD). 2011, c. 100, §11 (AMD). 2013, c. 115, §9 (AMD).