§2902-B. Sale of unpasteurized milk and milk products
1. Sale of unpasteurized milk or milk product. A person may not sell unpasteurized milk or a product made from unpasteurized milk, including heat-treated cheese, unless the label on that product contains the words "not pasteurized."
[ 2005, c. 270, §3 (AMD) .]
2. Sale of unpasteurized milk or milk product at eating establishment. Except as provided in subsection 5, a person may not sell unpasteurized milk or a product made from unpasteurized milk at an eating establishment as defined in Title 22, section 2491, subsection 7.
[ 2009, c. 652, Pt. B, §1 (AMD) .]
3. Exception. This section does not apply to cheese that has been aged at a temperature above 35 degrees Fahrenheit for at least 60 days prior to sale.
[ 2005, c. 270, §3 (AMD) .]
4. Testing of unpasteurized milk products. The commissioner shall establish a process by rule for submitting samples of unpasteurized milk products to an independent laboratory for testing when:
A. The milk laboratory operated by the department has tested unpasteurized milk products and determined that they do not meet the standards for unpasteurized milk products established by rules adopted pursuant to section 2910; and [2005, c. 172, §1 (NEW).]
B. The person operating the milk plant that processed the milk products has requested independent testing. [2005, c. 172, §1 (NEW).]
The commissioner may require the person requesting the independent testing under paragraph B to pay for that testing. Any restrictions on the sale of unpasteurized milk products pending test results and after receipt of test results must be established by rule. Rules adopted pursuant to this subsection are major substantive rules as defined in Title 5, chapter 375, subchapter 2-A. For the purposes of this subsection, "independent laboratory" means a laboratory that is operated by a private entity or a public entity other than the department.
[ 2005, c. 172, §1 (NEW) .]
4. (REALLOCATED TO T. 7, §2902-B, sub-§5) Sale of heat-treated cheese at eating establishment.
[ 2005, c. 270, §3 (NEW); 2005, c. 683, Pt. A, §12 (RAL) .]
5. (REALLOCATED FROM T. 7, §2902-B, sub-§4) Sale of heat-treated cheese at eating establishment. Notwithstanding subsection 2, heat-treated cheese may be offered for consumption at an eating establishment as defined in Title 22, section 2491, subsection 7 provided the menu identifies items on the menu that contain or are made with heat-treated cheese and provides notice that heat-treated cheese is not pasteurized using the words "not pasteurized" on the menu.
[ 2005, c. 683, Pt. A, §12 (RAL) .]
1999, c. 418, §2 (NEW). 2003, c. 452, §X2 (AFF). 2003, c. 452, §B18 (RPR). 2005, c. 172, §1 (AMD). 2005, c. 270, §3 (AMD). 2005, c. 683, §A12 (AMD). 2009, c. 652, Pt. B, §1 (AMD).