§10106. Freedom of access; confidentiality
The proceedings of the board and records of the trust are subject to the freedom of access laws, Title 1, chapter 13, except as specifically provided in this section. [RR 2009, c. 1, §25 (COR).]
1. Confidential records. The following records are designated as confidential for purposes of Title 1, section 402, subsection 3, paragraph A:
A. A record obtained or developed by the trust that:
(1) A person, including the trust, to whom the record belongs or pertains has requested be designated confidential and that the board has determined contains information that gives the owner or a user an opportunity to obtain a business or competitive advantage over another person who does not have access to the information, except through the trust's records, or access to which by others would result in a business or competitive disadvantage, loss of business or other significant detriment, other than loss or denial of financial assistance from the trust, to any person to whom the record belongs or pertains; or
(3) Contains information about the energy usage profile of an identifiable customer of a transmission and distribution utility in the State or an identifiable customer of a distributor of heating fuel or other energy source; and [2017, c. 163, §2 (AMD).]
B. A financial statement or tax return. [2009, c. 372, Pt. B, §3 (NEW).]
The social security number, address, telephone number or e-mail address of a customer that has participated or may participate in a program of the trust is confidential.
The trust shall provide to a legislative committee, on written request signed by the chairs of that committee, any information or records, including information designated confidential under this subsection, specified in the written request. The information or records may be used only for the lawful purposes of the committee and in any action arising out of any investigation conducted by it.
[ 2017, c. 163, §2 (AMD) .]
2. Exceptions. Notwithstanding subsection 1, the following are not confidential and are public records:
A. Any otherwise confidential information the confidentiality of which the board determines to have been satisfactorily and effectively waived; [2009, c. 372, Pt. B, §3 (NEW).]
B. Any otherwise confidential information that has already lawfully been made available to the public; and [2009, c. 372, Pt. B, §3 (NEW).]
C. Impersonal, statistical or general information. [2009, c. 372, Pt. B, §3 (NEW).]
[ 2009, c. 372, Pt. B, §3 (NEW) .]
3. Disclosure prohibited; further exceptions. The director or a trustee, officer, employee, agent, other representative of the trust or other person may not knowingly divulge or disclose records designated confidential by this section, except that the board, in its discretion and in conformity with legislative freedom of access criteria in Title 1, chapter 13, subchapter 1-A, may make or authorize any disclosure of information of the following types or under the following circumstances:
A. If necessary in connection with processing any application for, obtaining or maintaining financial assistance for any person; [2009, c. 372, Pt. B, §3 (NEW).]
B. To a financing institution or credit reporting service; [2009, c. 372, Pt. B, §3 (NEW).]
C. Information necessary to comply with any federal or state law or rule or with any agreement pertaining to financial assistance; [2009, c. 372, Pt. B, §3 (NEW).]
D. If necessary to ensure collection of any obligation in which the trust has or may have an interest; [2009, c. 372, Pt. B, §3 (NEW).]
E. In any litigation or proceeding in which the trust has appeared, introduction for the record of any information obtained from records designated confidential by this section; and [2009, c. 372, Pt. B, §3 (NEW).]
F. Pursuant to a subpoena, request for production of documents, warrant or other order by competent authority, as long as any such order appears to have first been served on the person to whom the confidential information sought pertains or belongs and as long as any such order appears on its face or otherwise to have been issued or made upon lawful authority. [2009, c. 372, Pt. B, §3 (NEW).]
[ 2009, c. 372, Pt. B, §3 (NEW) .]
RR 2009, c. 1, §25 (COR). 2009, c. 372, Pt. B, §3 (NEW). 2011, c. 343, §1 (AMD). 2017, c. 163, §2 (AMD).