§852. Construction of statewide network
1. Authority. The University of Maine System may acquire real estate, construct, operate, manage and equip radio, transmission and microwave television facilities and interconnect with any other radio or television network or station within or without this State for the purpose of providing a statewide public broadcasting network for the transmission of public broadcasting to pupils in the schools, colleges, university and adult audiences throughout the State.
[ 1985, c. 779, §44 (AMD) .]
2. Contracts. The University of Maine System may enter into contracts for the construction of those facilities, contracts for personal services necessary for the management and operation of those facilities and any other contracts deemed necessary to carry out the purposes of this chapter.
[ 1985, c. 779, §44 (AMD) .]
3. Transfer of assets and liabilities. The University of Maine System may transfer any assets and liabilities acquired pursuant to this section in order to unify operation in a nonprofit, nonstock private corporation, referred to in this section as "the corporation." The University of Maine System retains a reversionary interest in the university's assets as provided for in the articles of incorporation of that corporation. An annual appropriation for operating, constructing, equipping, maintaining, improving and replacing facilities of the corporation must be made in amounts sufficient to ensure delivery of broadcast sources throughout the State.
[ 2009, c. 62, §1 (AMD) .]
4. Condition of funding. As a condition of receiving an appropriation or allocation of state funds to broadcast throughout the State, the corporation shall continue to operate, equip and maintain facilities used to provide signals identified under paragraphs A and B that were in operation on February 1, 2009 or an equivalent network providing equivalent or expanded broadcast coverage throughout the State:
A. A television broadcast signal originating from stations whose community of license is Presque Isle, Calais, Orono, Augusta and Biddeford; and [2009, c. 62, §2 (NEW).]
B. A radio broadcast signal originating from stations whose community of license is Fort Kent, Presque Isle, Calais, Bangor, Waterville, Camden and Portland. [2009, c. 62, §2 (NEW).]
[ 2009, c. 62, §2 (NEW) .]
5. Failure to meet funding conditions. If the corporation fails to meet the requirements of subsection 4 during any state fiscal year in which an appropriation or allocation has been made, the corporation shall return the full amount of that appropriation or allocation to the Treasurer of State within 15 business days of the beginning of the next state fiscal year.
[ 2009, c. 62, §3 (NEW) .]
6. Exceptions. The corporation does not fail to meet the requirements of subsection 4 if:
A. One or more of the broadcast signals described in subsection 4, paragraphs A and B is off the air for a period of time due to a reason outside of the control of the corporation; or [2009, c. 62, §4 (NEW).]
B. All of the television broadcast signals or all of the radio broadcast signals are off the air for an equal period of time for any reason. [2009, c. 62, §4 (NEW).]
[ 2009, c. 62, §4 (NEW) .]
1981, c. 693, §§5,8 (NEW). 1985, c. 779, §44 (AMD). 1991, c. 848, §2 (AMD). 2009, c. 62, §§1-4 (AMD).