§246. Administration of the Unorganized Territory Education and Services Fund
1. Position created. There is created within the Office of the State Auditor the position of fiscal administrator of the unorganized territory. The fiscal administrator must be a person qualified by education or experience in the administration of budgets. The position is subject to the Civil Service Law.
[ 2013, c. 16, §8 (AMD) .]
2. Duties. The fiscal administrator of the unorganized territory shall have the following duties:
A. To review, analyze and investigate the budgets and expenditures of all counties and state agencies requesting funds under Title 36, chapter 115; [1985, c. 459, Pt. C, §1 (NEW).]
B. To prepare and submit, by March 1st, annually, a report of the fiscal administrator's review, analysis and investigation to the joint standing committee of the Legislature having jurisdiction over taxation, each Legislator representing a county containing unorganized territory and the office of the county commissioners of each county having unorganized territory. The report must contain sufficient detail to explain fully each agency or county request and may contain recommendations by the administrator regarding legislative or administrative action. This report must also include information relating to development districts under consideration or approved by the county commissioners under Title 30-A, section 5235 and provide details regarding costs and tax shifts resulting from or anticipated to result from the development district or proposed district; [2007, c. 636, §1 (AMD).]
C. To publish an annual financial report, signed by the administrator, as required by Title 36, section 1608, and to make that report available to taxpayers in the unorganized territory upon request; [1985, c. 459, Pt. C, §1 (NEW).]
D. To attend public hearings, if necessary, on county budgets relating to the unorganized territory and to attend legislative hearings on bills relating to property taxes and the funding of services in the unorganized territory; [1985, c. 459, Pt. C, §1 (NEW).]
E. To design budget request forms to be used by counties and by agencies requesting funds under Title 36, chapter 115; [1985, c. 459, Pt. C, §1 (NEW).]
F. To design contract forms to be used by counties and state agencies for all contracted services; and [1985, c. 459, Pt. C, §1 (NEW).]
G. To design forms for agencies reporting actual annual expenses for reimbursement from the Unorganized Territory Education and Services Fund. [1985, c. 459, Pt. C, §1 (NEW).]
[ 2007, c. 636, §1 (AMD) .]
3. Legislation. The fiscal administrator shall prepare and submit legislation to the Legislature by March 1st, annually, providing for the requests made by counties and state agencies for services provided in the unorganized territory that are entitled to funding under Title 36, chapter 115. The administrator may not reject or change a budget submitted by a county or state agency without the approval of the county or agency making the request.
[ 2009, c. 303, §1 (AMD) .]
4. Investigation. In order to perform the duties described in this section, the fiscal administrator may inspect the records of any agency or county requesting funding from the Unorganized Territory Education and Services Fund.
[ 1985, c. 459, Pt. C, §1 (NEW) .]
5. Funding. The costs of the positions and responsibilities required in this section shall be reimbursed from the Unorganized Territory Educational and Services Fund established under Title 36, chapter 115.
[ 1985, c. 459, Pt. C, §1 (NEW) .]
1985, c. 459, §C1 (NEW). 1985, c. 785, §B13 (AMD). 2007, c. 636, §§1, 2 (AMD). 2009, c. 303, §1 (AMD). 2013, c. 16, §8 (AMD).