Maine Revised Statutes

§557. Testimony of party out of State

When a party to a civil action resides without the State or is absent therefrom during the pendency of the action and the opposite party desires his testimony, a commission under the rules of court may issue to take his deposition. Such nonresident or absent party, upon such notice to him or his attorney of record in the action of the time and place appointed for taking his deposition, as the court orders, shall appear and give his deposition. If he refuses or unreasonably delays to do so, the action may be dismissed or defaulted by order of court unless his attorney admits the affidavit of the party desiring his testimony as to what the absent party would say, if present, to be used as testimony in the case.