An Act To Allow an Earlier Implementation Date for an Architectural Paint Stewardship Program
Sec. 1. 38 MRSA §2144, sub-§5, ¶A, as enacted by PL 2013, c. 395, §1, is amended to read:
Sec. 2. 38 MRSA §2144, sub-§5, ¶E, as enacted by PL 2013, c. 395, §1, is amended to read:
(1) A description of the methods used to collect, transport, reduce, reuse and process post-consumer paint in the State;
(2) The volume of post-consumer paint collected in the State;
(3) The volume and type of post-consumer paint collected in the State by method of disposition, including reuse, recycling and other methods of processing;
(4) The total cost of implementing the paint stewardship program, as determined by an independent financial audit funded from the paint stewardship assessment. The report of total cost must include a breakdown of administrative, collection, transportation, disposition and communication costs;
(5) A summary of outreach and educational activities undertaken and samples of educational materials provided to consumers of architectural paint;
(6) The total volume of post-consumer paint collected by the paint stewardship program and a breakdown of the volume collected at each collection site;
(7) Based on the paint stewardship assessment collected by the paint stewardship program, the total volume of architectural paint sold in the State during the preceding year;
(8) A list of all processors used to manage post-consumer paint collected by the paint stewardship program in the preceding year up to the paint's final disposition, the volume each processor accepted and the disposition method used by each processor; and
(9) An evaluation of the effectiveness of the paint stewardship program compared to prior years and anticipated steps, if any are needed, to improve performance throughout the State.
Sec. 3. 38 MRSA §2144, sub-§7, as enacted by PL 2013, c. 395, §1, is amended to read:
This bill allows for an earlier implementation date for an architectural paint stewardship program if an earlier date is proposed by a producer or representative organization and that date is approved by the Commissioner of Environmental Protection. It also makes a technical correction to a cross-reference.