Resolve, To Develop a Management Plan for the Nonwildlife Components of Swan Island and Little Swan Island in Perkins Township, Sagadahoc County
Sec. 1. Creation of a stakeholder group; membership and memorandum of agreement. Resolved: That the Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife and the Department of Conservation, referred to in this resolve as "the departments," shall establish and convene a stakeholder group to evaluate the options available to manage the nonwildlife components of Swan Island and Little Swan Island in Perkins Township, Sagadahoc County. The stakeholder group shall consider and, when possible, build upon the 1999 master plan for Swan Island in conducting its work pursuant to this section. The departments shall develop and enter into a memorandum of agreement for the management of the nonwildlife components of the islands based on the recommendations and findings of the stakeholder group. The stakeholder group consists of:
1. The Commissioner of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife or the commissioner's designee;
2. The Commissioner of Conservation or the commissioner's designee;
3. A person representing the Town of Richmond;
4. A person or persons representing an adjacent municipality that expresses an interest in participating in the stakeholder group;
5. A person representing a nonprofit organization with the mission of preserving and protecting the ecosystem of Merrymeeting Bay;
6. A person representing a nonprofit organization that works to improve and promote Swan Island;
7. A person representing a business from the local community near Swan Island;
8. A person representing an historic preservation organization involved with or having a current interest in Swan Island;
9. A person from a state agency with a current interest in the management of Swan Island; and
10. A person not from a state agency with a current interest in the management of Swan Island.
The departments shall ensure that a balance of interests is present on the stakeholder group; and be it further
Sec. 2. Report. Resolved: That no later than February 1, 2010 the departments shall report the findings and recommendations of the stakeholder group established in this resolve and the memorandum of agreement developed between the departments as a result of the stakeholder group's findings and recommendations to the Joint Standing Committee on Inland Fisheries and Wildlife. The report must include any draft legislation needed to carry out the recommendations contained in the report. The Joint Standing Committee on Inland Fisheries and Wildlife may submit legislation to the Second Regular Session of the 124th Legislature regarding the report.