An Act To Amend the Laws Relating to the Maine Jobs Council
Sec. 1. 26 MRSA §2006, sub-§2, ķA, as amended by PL 2003, c. 114, §10, is repealed.
Sec. 2. 26 MRSA §2006, sub-§5-B, ķA, as enacted by PL 1997, c. 683, Pt. D, §9, is amended to read:
(1) Advise, consult and assist the executive and legislative branches of State Government on activities of State Government that affect the employment of disabled individuals. The committee is solely advisory in nature. The committee may advise regarding state and federal plans and proposed budgetary, legislative or policy actions affecting disabled individuals;
(2) Serve as an advocate on behalf of disabled citizens promoting and assisting activities designed to further equal opportunity for people with disabilities;
(3) Conduct educational programs considered necessary to promote public understanding of the needs and abilities of disabled citizens of this State;
(4) Provide information, training and technical assistance to promote greater employer acceptance of disabled workers;
(5) Advise and assist employers and other organizations interested in developing employment opportunities for disabled people; and
(6) Inform Work with state and local government officials, organizations representing persons with disabilities and the business community to inform the public of the benefits of making buildings facilities and services accessible to and usable by individuals with disabilities; monitor the enforcement of state and federal laws regarding architectural accessibility; and advise and assist building owners by disseminating information about accessibility and by making technical assistance available when appropriate.
(a) A wheelchair symbol must be appropriately displayed to identify buildings with facilities that are accessible to disabled and elderly individuals; accessibility is determined by the committee.
(b) The symbol required in division (a) must be that adopted by the Rehabilitation International's World Congress in 1969.
(c) Application for display of the wheelchair symbol must be made by the committee, which shall obtain and keep on file a supply of symbols.