S.P. 179 - L.D. 607
Resolve, Requiring an Evaluation and Reform of the Tax Expenditure Review Process
Sec. 1. Tax expenditure review process. Resolved: That the Department of Administrative and Financial Services, Bureau of Revenue Services, referred to in this resolve as the "bureau," and the Office of Fiscal and Program Review, referred to in this resolve as the "office," shall jointly study the tax expenditure review process established in the Maine Revised Statutes, Title 36, chapter 9. The bureau and the office shall:
1. Review other states. Review the procedures used by other states that review tax expenditures;
2. Tax expenditure review experience in Maine. Research the original purposes of the State's tax expenditure review laws and the historical experience of the Legislature in conducting the required reviews;
3. Need for revision. Identify the current need for and purposes of tax expenditure review and other reports related to taxation matters that are required by law to be submitted to the Legislature;
4. Provide options. Identify options for revising the tax expenditure review process and other reporting requirements in a manner that provides the Legislature with timely and accurate information regarding taxation matters and the impact of tax expenditures on state revenues; and
5. Present information. Present the information gathered and options identified to the Joint Standing Committee on Taxation by October 1, 2001; and be it further
Sec. 2. Review; legislation. Resolved: That the Joint Standing Committee on Taxation shall review the information and options presented by the bureau and the office and may submit legislation to implement the committee's recommendations to the Second Regular Session of the 120th Legislature; and be it further
Sec. 3. Suspension of current review process. Resolved: That, notwithstanding the Maine Revised Statutes, Title 36, chapter 9, the review required by that chapter to be completed by January 1, 2002 is suspended.
Effective September 21, 2001, unless otherwise indicated.
|Revisor of Statutes Homepage||Subject Index||Search||Laws of Maine||Maine Legislature|
About the 120th Laws Of Maine
Contact the Office of the Revisor of Statutes