S.P. 179 - L.D. 533
An Act Concerning State Government Competition with Private Enterprise
Be it enacted by the People of the State of Maine as follows:
Sec. 1. 5 MRSA §55 is enacted to read:
§55. Advisory Committee on Fair Competition with Private Enterprise
In recognition that the provision of goods or services by state governmental agencies or institutions to the public may result in unfair competition practices with private enterprise in Maine, the Advisory Committee on Fair Competition with Private Enterprise, as established in section 12004-I, subsection 2-E and referred to in this section as the "committee," is created to assist State Government in responding to concerns raised by the public regarding government competition with private enterprise.
1. Membership. The committee consists of 9 members as follows:
A. Three members representing State Government, including:
(1) The Commissioner of Administrative and Financial Services, or the commissioner's designee, who shall serve as the chair of the committee;
(2) The Commissioner of Economic and Community Development or the commissioner's designee; and
(3) One of the following 3 officials appointed by the Governor on a rotating basis in the following order:
(a) The Commissioner of Education or a designee;
(b) The President of the Maine Technical College System or a designee; or
(c) The Chancellor of the University of Maine System or a designee;
B. A member representing employees of State Government, appointed by the Governor;
C. Three members representing private enterprise, including at least 2 members who represent businesses with fewer than 100 employees, appointed by the Governor; and
D. Two members representing the public, appointed by the Governor.
2. Terms of appointment. Terms of appointment are as follows:
A. The terms of appointment for the Commissioner of Administrative and Financial Services and the Commissioner of Economic and Community Development coincide with their terms of office;
B. The term of appointment for the Commissioner of Education, the President of the Maine Technical College System or the Chancellor of the University of Maine System is one year;
C. Of the members initially appointed pursuant to subsection 1, paragraphs B, C and D, the 2 members representing the public must be appointed for terms of 3 years, the 2 members representing businesses with fewer than 100 employees must be appointed for terms of 2 years, the remaining member representing private enterprise and the member representing employees of State Government must be appointed for terms of one year; and
D. After initial appointments, members appointed pursuant to subsection 1, paragraphs B, C and D serve 3-year terms.
3. Duties of committee. The committee shall meet at least once annually to review complaints from private enterprise of potentially unfair competition practices by State Government and to make recommendations regarding the disposition of these complaints to the Governor and, when appropriate, to the Legislature.
4. Staffing of committee. The Department of Administrative and Financial Services shall provide administrative and staff support to the committee.
5. Report of committee. The committee shall report by January 15th of each year to the Governor and to the joint standing committee of the Legislature having jurisdiction over state and local government matters on its activities and shall recommend changes in policies or practices that assist in achieving the purposes of this section.
Sec. 2. 5 MRSA §12004-I, sub-§2-E is enacted to read:
Advisory Committee on Fair Competition with Private Enterprise
5 MRSA §55
Effective August 11, 2000, unless otherwise indicated.
|Revisor of Statutes Homepage||Subject Index||Search||Laws of Maine||Maine Legislature|
About the 1999 Laws Of Maine
Contact the Office of the Revisor of Statutes