As used in this chapter, unless the context otherwise requires, the following words shall have the following meaning:
1. Books and records. "Books and records" means books, records, accounts, memoranda or other data pertaining to the purchase and distribution of milk.
2. Commission. "Commission" means the Maine Milk Commission.
3. Consumer. "Consumer" means any person other than a milk dealer who purchases milk for fluid consumption.
4. Dealer. "Dealer" means any person who purchases or receives milk for sale as the consignee or agent of a producer, or handles for sale, shipment, storage or processing within the State and shall include a producer-dealer and a sub-dealer, but shall not include a store other than an integrated operation.
[ 1985, c. 717, §1 (AMD) .]
4-A. Integrated operation. "Integrated operation" means a person who is a dealer and who also sells at retail the milk which he handles for sale, shipment, storage or processing within the State.
[ 1985, c. 717, §2 (NEW) .]
5. Market. "Market" means any city, town or parts thereof of the State, or 2 or more of the same or parts thereof designated by the commission as a natural marketing area.
6. Milk. "Milk" means any of the following, regardless of the presence of any flavoring:
A. Whole milk or cream, whether fresh, sour or storage; [2005, c. 382, Pt. F, §2 (NEW).]
B. Skimmed milk; or [2005, c. 382, Pt. F, §2 (NEW).]
C. Buttermilk. [2005, c. 382, Pt. F, §2 (NEW).]
[ 2005, c. 382, Pt. F, §2 (AMD) .]
7. Person. "Person" means any individual, partnership, firm, corporation, association or other unit, and the State and all political subdivisions or agencies thereof, except state owned and operated institutions.
8. Producer. "Producer" means any person who produces milk and sells his said milk only to dealers.
9. Producer-dealer. "Producer-dealer" means a dealer who himself produces a part or all of his milk or a person who produces milk and sells to a grocery store or dairy products store or similar commercial establishment.
10. Retail sale. "Retail sale" means a doorstep delivery and over-the-counter sales by stores.
11. Store. "Store" means a grocery store, dairy product store, canteen, milk vending machine operator, milk dispensing operator or any similar commercial establishment or outlet or any other sale where milk is sold to consumers for consumption off the premises where sold.
12. Sub-dealer. "Sub-dealer" means any person who does not process milk and who purchases milk from a dealer and sells such milk in the same containers in which he purchased it, but shall not include a store.
13. Wholesale sale. "Wholesale sale" means sale to any other person not included in retail.
14. Retail store. "Retail store" means a grocery store, dairy product store or any similar commercial establishment where milk is sold to consumers for consumption off the premises.
[ 1973, c. 758, §1 (NEW) .]
1973, c. 758, §1 (AMD). 1985, c. 717, §§1,2 (AMD). 2005, c. 382, §F2 (AMD).