Maine Revised Statutes

§951. Planting

The department may cause or allow grasses, shrubs, vines and trees to be planted and maintained along state and state aid highways, to be paid for as part of the cost of construction and maintenance of highways. The department shall consult with the recognized tree board or tree warden of a municipality concerning the planting along a state or state aid highway within that municipality. For purposes of this section, a "recognized tree board" or "tree warden" means a person or persons designated as such by municipal officials and listed with the Department of Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry. In making this designation, municipal officials shall give preference to persons experienced in the area of landscaping and planting. If such persons are not available, the municipality may designate another municipal officer. [2001, c. 39, §1 (AMD); 2011, c. 657, Pt. W, §5 (REV).]

1971, c. 593, §22 (AMD). 1979, c. 316, §1 (AMD). 2001, c. 39, §1 (AMD). 2011, c. 657, Pt. W, §5 (REV).