§13016. Renewal of teacher certificates
Teacher certificates issued in accordance with this chapter may be renewed pursuant to state board rules which shall include, but not be limited to, the following. [1983, c. 845, §4 (NEW).]
1. Provisional teacher certificates. A provisional teacher certificate is not renewable except for the following:
A. Teachers employed in private schools approved for attendance purposes only; [1983, c. 845, §4 (NEW).]
B. Unemployed teachers who apply to renew their certificates during periods of unemployment so long as they have been employed for less than 2 consecutive school years while holding a preliminary certificate; [1983, c. 845, §4 (NEW).]
C. Notwithstanding paragraphs A and B, the commissioner may grant an extension for not more than 2 years based on:
(1) The recommendation of the superintendent;
(2) The recommendation of the support system that includes a Teacher Action Plan describing the goals to be met by the teacher to achieve a professional certificate, specific steps needed to achieve those goals, and criteria for measuring whether those steps have been successfully completed;
(3) If there is an inconsistency between the recommendations in subparagraphs (1) and (2), the commissioner may hold a fact-finding hearing in the school administrative unit where the teacher is employed. At the hearing, the Teacher Action Plan, superintendent's recommendations and support system recommendations must be presented. With the consent of the teacher the hearing may be open to the public; and [1991, c. 824, Pt. C, §3 (AMD).]
D. Notwithstanding paragraphs A, B and C on a case-by-case basis to be determined by the commissioner on the basis of documented hardship or other extraordinary circumstances as set forth in state board rules. [1983, c. 845, §4 (NEW).]
[ 1991, c. 824, Pt. C, §3 (AMD) .]
2. Professional teacher certificates. A professional teacher certificate may be renewed for 5-year periods in accordance with state board rules, which must require, at a minimum, that the teacher complete at least 6 hours of professional or academic study, or in-service training designed to improve the performance of the teacher in the field for which the teacher holds an endorsement, or in a related subject area, or to improve the teacher's knowledge of, and skill in, standards-based education. Teachers who desire to qualify for a master teacher certificate must coordinate their continuing professional education with the requirements of an applicable teacher action plan.
[ 2011, c. 669, §8 (AMD) .]
3. Master teacher certificate. A master teacher certificate may be renewed for 5-year periods in accordance with state board rules which shall require, at a minimum, that the master teacher has obtained a recommendation of the support system that the master teacher has maintained a high level of professional teacher skills. If the holder of a master teacher certificate fails to maintain master teacher skills or chooses not to seek a renewal of the master teacher certificate, the teacher will be deemed to hold a professional teacher certificate and shall meet the requirements for its renewal.
[ 1983, c. 845, §4 (NEW) .]
4. Renewal of nonteacher, professional certificates.
[ 1985, c. 287, §3 (RP) .]
1983, c. 845, §4 (NEW). 1985, c. 287, §3 (AMD). 1991, c. 622, §X8 (AMD). 1991, c. 824, §C3 (AMD). 2011, c. 669, §8 (AMD).