Maine Revised Statutes

§1654. Parenting and support when parents live apart

If the parents of a minor child are living apart, the Probate Court or District Court in the county or division where either resides, upon complaint of either and after notice to the other as the court may order, may make an order awarding parental rights and responsibilities with respect to the child in accordance with this chapter. [2015, c. 296, Pt. C, §18 (AMD); 2015, c. 296, Pt. D, §1 (AFF).]

The jurisdiction granted by this section is limited by the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act, if another state may have jurisdiction as provided in that Act. [2013, c. 424, Pt. B, §7 (AMD).]

1995, c. 694, §B2 (NEW). 1995, c. 694, §E2 (AFF). 1999, c. 731, §ZZZ34 (AMD). 1999, c. 731, §ZZZ42 (AFF). 2013, c. 424, Pt. B, §7 (AMD). 2015, c. 296, Pt. C, §18 (AMD). 2015, c. 296, Pt. D, §1 (AFF).