An Act Relating to Complementary and Alternative Medicine Licensure
Sec. 1. 32 MRSA §12501, sub-§5-B is enacted to read:
Sec. 2. 32 MRSA §12502, sub-§1, as amended by PL 2015, c. 502, §6, is further amended to read:
Sec. 3. 32 MRSA §12503, sub-§1, as amended by PL 2015, c. 502, §§7 and 8, is further amended to read:
Sec. 4. 32 MRSA §12504, as amended by PL 2015, c. 502, §9, is further amended to read:
§ 12504. Unauthorized employment
A person in the course of business may not employ an acupuncturist, naturopathic doctor or , midwife or holistic health practitioner who does not have a license unless that person is a student or intern within the meaning of this chapter.
Sec. 5. 32 MRSA §12505-A, as amended by PL 2015, c. 502, §10, is further amended to read:
§ 12505-A. Unlicensed practice
A person who violates section 12504, 12511, 12521 or , 12531 or 12551 is subject to the provisions of Title 10, section 8003.
Sec. 6. 32 MRSA c. 113-B, sub-c. 5 is enacted to read:
HOLISTIC HEALTH PRACTITIONER LICENSING REQUIREMENTS AND SCOPE OF PRACTICE
§ 12551. Licensure
§ 12552. Qualifications for holistic health practitioners
The eligibility of an applicant for a license to practice holistic health must be determined in accordance with the following.
(1) Satisfactory evidence of either:
(a) Completion of a doctoral degree from an accredited institution of higher learning in the United States, completion of a practicum or internship in the field of intended practice and completion of 1,800 hours of supervision from a licensed complementary health care provider in this State or at a public health facility; or
(b) Completion of a master's degree in the last 10 years and completion of at least 24 credits of classroom instruction in any combination of biology, anatomy, chemistry, physiology, psychology or pharmacology or completion of military training in the medical or dental field with demonstrated proof of certification as a complementary health care provider after military service;
(2) Documented training in no less than 4 of the 7 recognized mind-body modalities, including manual healing methods, clinical aromatherapy and herbal medicine, alternative systems of medical practice, mind-body interventions, bio-electromagnetic applications and life or health coaching. The board may not consider training in iridology, homeopathy or colonic cleansing as acceptable evidence of education or training for qualification under this section;
(3) Documented evidence of completion of no less than 3 credit hours in the ethics of complementary and alternative medical practices or coaching standards at an accredited institution of higher learning;
(4) An agreement and supervision plan with a licensed complementary health care provider to provide no less than 1,800 hours of clinical supervision of the applicant; and
(5) Satisfactory evidence of professional liability insurance.
§ 12553. Licensing
§ 12554. Scope of practice
The scope of practice of holistic health practitioners includes the use of techniques and modalities in multiple areas of science-based, complementary and energy-based forms of healing as described in this section.
§ 12555. Fees
The Director of the Office of Professional and Occupational Regulation within the Department of Professional and Financial Regulation may establish by rule fees for purposes authorized under this subchapter in amounts that are reasonable and necessary for their respective purposes, except that the fee for any application may not exceed $175 and the fee for initial and renewal licensure may not exceed $275 annually. Rules adopted pursuant to this section are routine technical rules pursuant to Title 5, chapter 375, subchapter 2-A.
§ 12556. Reapplication
Any applicant who is denied a license as a holistic health practitioner may apply again for licensing after a period of not less than 6 months from the date of the last denial.
§ 12557. Application for renewal
This bill establishes a licensing requirement for holistic health practitioners, defines "holistic health practitioner," establishes applicant eligibility requirements and license renewal requirements and establishes the scope of practice.