An Act To Enact Laws Governing Private Vehicle Rentals
Sec. A-1. 29-A MRSA c. 13, sub-c. 5 is enacted to read:
MOTOR VEHICLE RENTAL MODERNIZATION ACT
§ 1691. Short title
This subchapter may be known and cited as "the Motor Vehicle Rental Modernization Act."
§ 1692. Definitions
As used in this subchapter, unless the context otherwise indicates, the following terms have the following meanings.
§ 1693. Requirement for vehicle rental transactions
§ 1694. Insurance requirements
Sec. B-1. 24-A MRSA c. 95 is enacted to read:
PRIVATE VEHICLE RENTAL INSURANCE ACT
§ 7401. Short title
This chapter may be known and cited as "the Private Vehicle Rental Insurance Act."
§ 7402. Definitions
As used in this chapter, unless the context otherwise indicates, the following terms have the following meanings.
(1) Retrieved by the owner or the owner's designee;
(2) Returned to a location agreed upon by the owner and the renter; or
(3) Returned to a location designated by the provider; and
(1) The time period established through a rental agreement expires;
(2) The renter verifiably communicates to the provider or owner that the rental period has terminated; or
(3) The owner or provider takes possession and control of the private rental vehicle.
§ 7403. Requirements and limitations for private vehicle rental
(1) Liability coverage at least equal to the minimum financial responsibility requirements for motor vehicles in the state in which the vehicle is registered; and
(2) Property and casualty coverage, including comprehensive and collision protection, as described in section 7405;
(1) Access to an insurance identification card or other documentation approved for use in the state in which the motor vehicle is registered that is able to be carried in the vehicle at all times during any rental period and that provides proof that the insurance coverage required by paragraph A is in full force and effect; and
(2) The means to communicate, via a toll-free telephone number, e-mail address or other form of communication, with a law enforcement officer, representative of the Department of the Secretary of State, Bureau of Motor Vehicles or other state official in the state in which the vehicle is registered to confirm in real time that insurance coverage required by paragraph A is in full force and effect;
(1) Verifiable records of each rental period and, to the extent electronic equipment for monitoring the information is installed in the motor vehicle, verifiable electronic records of the time the vehicle is driven, the initial and final locations of the vehicle and miles driven if mileage is collected; and
(2) In instances when an insurance claim has been filed with the provider's insurer, any information relevant to the claim, including any payments by the provider due to accidents, damage or injuries;
(1) During the rental period the owner's insurer may exclude coverage under the owner's insurance policy. The provider may also notify the owner and renter that the owner's insurer has no duty to defend or indemnify any individual or person for liability for any loss that occurs during the rental period; and
(2) The provider's insurance policy and physical damage contract may not provide coverage outside of the rental period; and
§ 7404. Liability provisions
§ 7405. Group insurance for private vehicle rental programs
§ 7406. Financial responsibility
This bill modernizes state law to regulate private vehicle rentals.
Part A requires private vehicle rentals to comply with the same laws that apply to rental vehicles, rental vehicle transactions and rental vehicle companies. Part A also allows rental vehicle companies to comply with certain notice and record-keeping requirements electronically or through a master agreement.
Part B of the bill establishes insurance requirements for private vehicle rentals.