‘Sec. 2. 35-A MRSA c. 33-A is enacted to read:
§ 3351. Microgrids
(1) The proposed new microgrid will serve a total load of no more than 25 megawatts;
(2) The proposed new microgrid is located in the service territory of a transmission and distribution utility with more than 50,000 customers;
(3) The distributed energy resources for the new microgrid meet the applicable portfolio requirements in section 3210, subsections 3, 3-A, 3-B and 3-C;
(4) The person proposing the new microgrid demonstrates that the person has secured the financial capacity to operate the proposed new microgrid;
(5) The person proposing the new microgrid demonstrates that the person has secured the technical capability to operate the proposed new microgrid;
(6) There is a contractual relationship between the proposed new microgrid operator and consumers within the area to be served by the proposed new microgrid; and
(7) The proposed new microgrid will not negatively affect the reliability and security of the electric grid.
For the purposes of this paragraph, when determining whether a proposed new microgrid is in the public interest, the commission shall consider possible ratepayer effects, whether positive or negative; benefits due to the increased resilience or reliability of the electric grid; economic development benefits; and any other factors the commission considers necessary to promote the public interest.
(1) Require that any increase in costs to the electric transmission and distribution system in the State as a result of the new microgrid must be fully recovered from the microgrid owner and customers of the microgrid and not passed on to other electric ratepayers; and
(2) Impose any other terms, conditions or requirements on the construction, maintenance or operation of the new microgrid as, in its judgment, it considers necessary, which may include but are not limited to parameters regarding the ability of the new microgrid to enter island mode, as defined by the commission by rule, and the operation of the new microgrid in grid-connected mode and island mode.