| Session - 128th Maine Legislature
S "B" to C "A", Filing Number S-492, Sponsored by Millett
Amend the amendment by striking out all of the mandate preamble (page 1, lines 13 to 17 in amendment).
Amend the amendment in section 1 in §2604-B by inserting at the end the following:
Amend the amendment by striking out all of section 2 and inserting the following:
‘Sec. 2. 30-A MRSA §6006-F, sub-§3, ¶A, as amended by PL 2017, c. 389, §1, is further amended to read:
(1) The following repair and renovation needs receive Priority 1 status:
(a) Repair or replacement of a roof on a school building;
(b) Bringing a school building into compliance with the federal Americans with Disabilities Act, 42 United States Code, Section 12101 et seq.;
(c) Improving air quality in a school building;
(d) Removing or abating hazardous materials in a school building , including, but not limited to, water lead abatement or mitigation pursuant to Title 22, section 2604-B; and
(f) Undertaking other health, safety and compliance repairs, including installations or improvements necessary to increase school facility security.
(2) Repairs and improvements related to a school building structure, windows and doors and water or septic systems , other than water lead abatement or mitigation pursuant to Title 22, section 2604-B, receive Priority 2 status.
(3) Repairs and improvements related to energy and water conservation receive Priority 3 status.
(4) Upgrades of learning spaces in school buildings receive Priority 4 status.
(5) The Commissioner of Education may approve other necessary repairs;
This amendment removes the mandate preamble. It requires the Department of Education to provide grants for water testing required by Committee Amendment "A" to the extent funds are available. It also makes water testing by a school contingent on receipt of a grant. It also makes a technical correction to reflect the enactment of Public Law 2017, chapter 389, section 1.
Top of Page