‘Sec. 1. 30-A MRSA §2501, sub-§3 is enacted to read:
(1) The printed ballot does not include a properly nominated candidate for the office; or
(2) A properly nominated candidate for the office listed on the ballot withdraws from the race before or on election day.
(1) The printed ballot does not include a properly nominated candidate for the office;
(2) A properly nominated candidate for the office listed on the ballot withdraws from the race before or on election day; or
(3) The number of write-in votes for an office as determined by a machine count or initial hand count exceeds the number of votes in that count for a candidate printed on the ballot.
Votes for write-in candidates may be counted even if none of the criteria listed in subparagraphs (1) to (3) are met in a municipality that has not voted to be governed by Title 21-A, section 696, subsection 2, paragraph C and Title 21-A, section 722-A.
Nothing in this subsection requires a municipal clerk to count or tally write-in votes for a fictitious person, a deceased person or a person from outside the municipality when residency is a qualification of office or who is otherwise not qualified to be a candidate for the office for which the person is a write-in candidate.’