An Act To Improve Regulatory Consistency within the Jurisdiction of the Maine Land Use Planning Commission
Sec. A-1. 12 MRSA §685-A, sub-§13, as enacted by PL 2007, c. 661, Pt. C, §1, is amended to read:
Sec. A-2. 35-A MRSA §3402, sub-§2, as enacted by PL 2007, c. 661, Pt. A, §5 and amended by PL 2011, c. 682, §38, is further amended to read:
The Legislature further finds that, while wind energy may be developed at many sites with minimal site-specific environmental impacts, wind energy developments may have, in addition to their beneficial environmental effects and potential scenic impacts, specific adverse environmental and local community effects that must be addressed in state permitting regulatory decisions pursuant to approval criteria tailored to address issues presented by wind energy development. Nothing in this section is meant to diminish the importance of addressing , as appropriate , site-specific impacts on persons, property and natural values, including, but not limited to, wildlife, wildlife habitats and other ecological values.
The Legislature further finds that development of the State's wind energy resources should be undertaken in a manner that ensures consideration of, and participation by, persons within communities where wind energy facilities are proposed and that ensures significant tangible benefits to the people of the State, including, but not limited to, residents of communities that host wind energy facilities ; , and that the State should seek to host a substantial amount of wind energy as part of a strategy to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and meet the goals established in the state climate action plan developed pursuant to Title 38, section 577.
Sec. A-3. 35-A MRSA §3451, sub-§3, ¶B, as enacted by PL 2007, c. 661, Pt. A, §7 and amended by PL 2011, c. 682, §38, is further amended to read:
Sec. A-4. 35-A MRSA §3451, sub-§8, ¶B, as amended by PL 2011, c. 682, §26, is further amended to read:
Sec. A-5. 35-A MRSA §3451, sub-§8-B is enacted to read:
Sec. A-6. 35-A MRSA §3451, sub-§9-A is enacted to read:
Sec. A-7. 35-A MRSA §3451, sub-§10-A is enacted to read:
Sec. A-8. 35-A MRSA §3453, as enacted by PL 2007, c. 661, Pt. A, §7 and amended by PL 2011, c. 682, §38, is further amended to read:
§ 3453. Additions to the expedited permitting area
The Maine Land Use Planning Commission may, by rule adopted in accordance with Title 5, chapter 375, add a specified place in the State's unorganized or and deorganized areas , including specified places within the provisional expedited permitting area, to the expedited permitting area. In order to add a specified place to the expedited permitting area, the Maine Land Use Planning Commission must determine that the proposed addition to the expedited permitting area:
The addition of a specified place within the provisional expedited permitting area to the expedited permitting area constitutes its removal from the provisional expedited permitting area.
If the Maine Land Use Planning Commission receives written requests from 5 or more persons requesting a public hearing be held in relation to a petition to add a specified place to the expedited permitting area, a public hearing must be held.
Rules adopted by the Maine Land Use Planning Commission pursuant to this section are routine technical rules as defined in Title 5, chapter 375, subchapter 2-A.
Sec. B-1. Provisional expedited permitting area designation. No later than December 31, 2015, the Maine Land Use Planning Commission shall adopt a rule listing the following specified places, except as noted, within the unorganized and deorganized areas, which comprise the provisional expedited permitting area for purposes of this Act. The addition of a specified place to this list in furtherance of this Act constitutes a removal of that same place from the expedited permitting area. The commission may subsequently remove specified places from this list in accordance with the Maine Revised Statutes, Title 35-A, section 3453:
1. Entire townships and plantations. The following entire townships and plantations: Albany Twp., 17802; Alder Stream Twp., 07801; Argyle Twp., 19801; Bald Mountain Twp., T2 R3, 25805; Baring Plt., 29040; Barnard Twp., 21030; Batchelders Grant Twp., 17805; Benedicta Twp., 03050; Big Moose Twp., 21801; Blake Gore, 25811; Blanchard Twp., 21040; Brookton Twp., 29801; Carroll Plt., 19080; Carrying Place Twp., 25860; Cary Plt., 03090; Centerville Twp., 29080; Chase Stream Twp., 25816; Chester, 19100; Codyville Plt., 29110; Concord Twp., 25818; Connor Twp., 03802; Cove Point Twp., 21805; Cox Patent, 03803; Cross Lake Twp., 03899; Cyr Plt., 03140; Dennistown Plt., 25090; Drew Plt., 19160; Dudley Twp., 03804; Dyer Twp., 29803; E Twp., 03160; East Moxie Twp., 25821; Edmunds Twp., 29804; Fletchers Landing Twp., 09804; Forest City Twp., 29806; Forest Twp., 29805; Forkstown Twp., 03805; Fowler Twp., 29807; Freeman Twp., 07808; Garfield Plt., 03220; Glenwood Plt., 03230; Grand Falls Twp., 19250; Grindstone Twp., 19802; Hamlin, 03250; Hammond, 03260; Harfords Point Twp., 21811; Herseytown Twp., 19803; Hibberts Gore, 15801; Highland Plt., 25150; Hopkins Academy Grant Twp., 19804; Indian Stream Twp., 25828; Jim Pond Twp., 07811; Johnson Mountain Twp., 25829; Kibby Twp., 07812; Kingman Twp., 19808; Kingsbury Plt., 21110; Lake View Plt., 21120; Lambert Lake Twp., 29809; Lexington Twp., 25831; Macwahoc Plt., 03360; Marion Twp., 29810; Mason Twp., 17811; Mattamiscontis Twp., 19810; Mayfield Twp., 25835; Milton Twp., 17812; Misery Gore Twp., 25837; Misery Twp., 25836; Molunkus Twp., 03806; Moosehead Junction Twp., 21816; Moro Plt., 03430; Mount Chase, 19450; Moxie Gore, 25838; Nashville Plt., 03440; No. 14 Twp., 29330; North Yarmouth Academy Grant Twp., 03807; Orneville Twp., 21821; Osborn, 09230; Oxbow Plt., 03500; Parkertown Twp., 17814; Parlin Pond Twp., 25839; Perkins Twp., 07818; Perkins Twp. Swan Island, 23801; Pleasant Ridge Plt., 25250; Prentiss Twp., T4 R4 NBKP, 25843; Prentiss Twp., T7 R3 NBPP, 19540; Rangeley Plt., 07160; Reed Plt., 03540; Saint Croix Twp., 03808; Saint John Plt., 03570; Sandbar Tract Twp., 25848; Sandy Bay Twp., 25850; Sandy River Plt., 07170; Sapling Twp., 25851; Seboeis Plt., 19550; Silver Ridge Twp., 03809; Squapan Twp., 03810; Squaretown Twp., 25854; Summit Twp., 19812; T1 R5 WELS, 03816; T1 R6 WELS, 19815; T10 R3 WELS, 03829; T10 R6 WELS, 03830; T10 SD, 09806; T11 R3 NBPP, 29817; T11 R4 WELS, 03833; T13 R5 WELS, 03856; T14 R5 WELS, 03867; T14 R6 WELS, 03868; T15 R5 WELS, 03879; T15 R6 WELS, 03880; T16 MD, 09807; T16 R4 WELS, 03889; T16 R5 WELS, 03890; T16 R6 WELS, 03891; T17 R3 WELS, 03897; T17 R4 WELS, 03898; T18 ED BPP, 29818; T18 MD BPP, 29819; T19 ED BPP, 29820; T19 MD BPP, 29821; T2 R4 WELS, 03817; T2 R8 NWP, 19817; T2 R9 NWP, 19819; T22 MD, 09808; T3 Indian Purchase Twp., 19806; T3 R3 WELS, 03818; T3 R4 WELS, 03819; T3 R9 NWP, 19823; T4 R3 WELS, 03820; T6 R6 WELS, 19829; T7 R5 WELS, 03821; T7 R6 WELS, 19832; T7 SD, 09803; T8 R3 NBPP, 29815; T8 R3 WELS, 03822; T8 R4 NBPP, 29816; T8 R5 WELS, 03823; T8 R6 WELS, 19835; T9 R3 WELS, 03824; T9 R4 WELS, 03825; T9 R5 WELS, 03826; T9 SD, 09805; TA R2 WELS, 03813; TA R7 WELS, 19814; Taunton & Raynham Academy Grant, 25803; TC R2 WELS, 03814; TD R2 WELS, 03815; The Forks Plt., 25320; Trescott Twp., 29811; Unity Twp., 11801; Upper Molunkus Twp., 03811; Washington Twp., 07827; Webbertown Twp., 03812; Webster Plt., 19600; West Forks Plt., 25330; Williamsburg Twp., 21827; and Winterville Plt., 03680; and
2. Portions of townships and plantations. The following portions of townships and plantations: that portion of Adamstown Twp., 17801, north of Route 16; Bald Mountain Twp., T4 R3, 25806, excluding areas of Boundary Bald Mountain above 2,700 feet in elevation; a 146.6-acre parcel in the northeast corner of the Chain of Ponds, 07803, along the border with Canada; the portion of Coplin Plt., 07040, north of Route 16; the portion of Dallas Plt., 07050, north of Route 16; the portion of Ebeemee Twp., 21853, east of Route 11; the portion of Kossuth Twp., 29808, north of Route 6; the portion of Lang Twp., 07813, north of Route 16; the portion of Lincoln Plt., 17160, north of Route 16; the portion of Long A Twp., 19809, east of Route 11; the portion of Long Pond Twp., 25833, south of Long Pond and Moose River; the 487.5-acre area above the 2,040-foot elevation around Green Top in Lynchtown Twp., 17810; the portion of Rockwood Strip T1 R1 NBKP, 25844, south of Moose River, Little Brassua Lake and Brassua Lake; the portion of Rockwood Strip T2 R1 NBKP, 25845, south of Little Brassua Lake and Brassua Lake; the portion of Salem Twp., 07820, south of Route 142; the portion of Sandwich Academy Grant Twp., 25849, south of Moose River, Little Brassua Lake and Brassua Lake; the 12.5-acre north-south trending area just south and west of Kibby Mountain in Skinner Twp., 07822; the portion of Soldiertown Twp., T2 R7 WELS, 19811, east of the East Branch Penobscot River; the portion of T1 R8 WELS, 19816, south of Millinocket Lake; the portion of T1 R9 WELS, 21833, southeast of Ambajejus Lake; T24 MD BPP, 29822, excluding a one-mile buffer around Mopang Stream; the 51.9-acre area in T25 MD BPP, 29823, encompassing Black Brook and Black Brook Pond, and the area northeast of Holmes Falls Road; the portion of T3 R7 WELS, 19821, east of the Seboeis River and East Branch Penobscot River; the portions of T4 Indian Purchase Twp., 19807, area northeast of North Twin Lake and south of Route 11; the portion of T4 R7 WELS, 19824, east of the Seboeis River; the portion of T4 R9 NWP, 21845, east of Route 11; the portion of T5 R7 WELS, 19827, east of the Seboeis River; and the portion of T6 R7 WELS, 19830, east of the Seboeis River.
Sec. B-2. Exceptions. The following portions of townships or plantations may not be added to the provisional expedited permitting area under section 1:
1. Existing development. Any specified place within the project boundary of an existing, legally permitted, expedited wind energy development;
2. Proposed development. Any specified place within the project boundary of a proposed, legally permitted, expedited wind energy development, as described in its associated development permit;
3. Accepted for processing. Any specified place within the project boundary of a proposed expedited wind energy development, as described in a development permit application that has been accepted for processing by the Department of Environmental Protection before the date the rule under section 1 is adopted; and
4. Added by rule. Any specified place added by rule to the expedited permitting area after April 18, 2008 in accordance with the Maine Revised Statutes, Title 35-A, section 3453.
Sec. B-3. Definitions. As used in this Part, the following terms have the following meanings.
1. Project boundary. "Project boundary" means the geographic limits of an existing or proposed expedited wind energy development, as defined by:
2. Specified place. "Specified place" means the entirety or a portion of a township or plantation in the unorganized or deorganized areas.
Sec. B-4. Rules. Rules adopted by the Maine Land Use Planning Commission pursuant to this Part are routine technical rules as defined in the Maine Revised Statutes, Title 5, chapter 375, subchapter 2-A.
This bill amends legislative findings of the Maine Wind Energy Act, adding emphasis to public consideration and participation in decisions related to expedited wind energy development siting. It directs the Maine Land Use Planning Commission, through rulemaking, to create a provisional expedited permitting area comprised of unorganized and deorganized areas of the State, which were previously included in the expedited permitting area, with specific exceptions to recognize existing expedited wind energy developments. It amends the statutory criteria for adding specified places to the expedited permitting area and adds a requirement that a petition to add a specified place to the expedited permitting area must involve a public hearing if written requests for a public hearing are received from 5 or more persons.