An Act To Amend the Laws Governing Awarding a High School Diploma to Veterans
Sec. 1. 20-A MRSA §4722, sub-§6, ¶C, as amended by PL 2011, c. 25, §1, is further amended to read:
(1) Before or during World War II to serve in the Armed Forces during World War II;
(2) Before or during the Korean Conflict to serve in the Armed Forces in the Korean Conflict; or
(3) Before or during the Vietnam War to serve in the Armed Forces during the Vietnam War era. For purposes of this subparagraph, "Vietnam War era" means the period beginning February 28, 1961 and ending May 7, 1975 . ; or
(4) To serve in the Armed Forces during the period of wartime or peacetime after a period of wartime described in subparagraph (1), (2) or (3).
Sec. 2. 20-A MRSA §4722-A, sub-§3, ¶E, as enacted by PL 2011, c. 669, §7, is amended to read:
(1) The person:
(a) Attended a secondary school in the geographic area now served by the secondary school from which a diploma is requested; or
(b) Resides at the time of application for a diploma in the geographic area served by the secondary school from which a diploma is requested;
(2) The person did not graduate or receive a diploma from a secondary school because the person left secondary school to serve in the Armed Forces and served during the following periods:
(a) World War II, from December 7, 1941 to August 16, 1945;
(b) The Korean Conflict; or
(c) The Vietnam War era, from February 28, 1961 to May 7, 1975; and or
(d) The period of wartime or peacetime after a period of wartime described in division (a), (b) or (c); and
(3) The person received an honorable discharge or a certificate of honorable service from the Armed Forces.
For the purposes of this paragraph, "Armed Forces" means the United States Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard and the Merchant Marines.