An Act To Help Small Farmers in Selling Raw Milk and Homemade Food Products
Sec. 1. 7 MRSA §2901-A, as amended by PL 1999, c. 679, Pt. A, §3, is further amended to read:
§ 2901-A. Standards and labeling
Notwithstanding any other requirements of this chapter, milk and milk products, defined in accordance with standards then in effect that have been adopted by the United States Government and labeled in conformity with labeling requirements then in effect that have been adopted by the United States Government, are considered to conform with the definitions and labeling requirements set forth in this chapter; except that containers of milk and cream packaged in Maine must also bear the name and address of the Maine licensed milk distributor and sufficient information to identify the milk plant where packaged and labeling required under section 2910-C must contain any additional information required by section 2910-C.
Sec. 2. 7 MRSA §2902-B, sub-§3, as amended by PL 2005, c. 270, §3, is further amended to read:
Sec. 3. 7 MRSA §2910-C is enacted to read:
§ 2910-C. Raw milk
Sec. 4. 22 MRSA §2501, as amended by PL 2011, c. 193, Pt. B, §10, is further amended by adding at the end a new paragraph to read:
A homestead food operation under section 2503 is exempt from licensing under section 2492 and any inspection requirements under this chapter.
Sec. 5. 22 MRSA §2503 is enacted to read:
§ 2503. Homestead food operations
(1) Produces homestead food products made only in the kitchen of the person's primary residence;
(2) Sells homestead food products only from the person's primary residence or farm stand or at a farmers' market within the State; and
(3) Sells no more than $10,000 annually of homestead food products.
(1) Food requiring temperature control for safety because it is capable of supporting rapid growth of pathogenic or toxigenic microorganisms and the growth of toxin production of Clostridium botulinum; or
(2) Processed acidified or low-acid canned food.
This bill exempts from state licensing and inspection requirements homestead food operations and raw milk producers who sell small quantities of certain food products or raw milk products made or produced at the person's residence or farm if the food products or raw milk products are sold directly from the person's home or farm or farm stand or at a farmers' market within the State.