An Act Regarding the Cancellation of Subscription Services
Sec. 1. 10 MRSA c. 208-C is enacted to read:
§ 1299. Cancellation of subscriptions
(1) Newspapers, magazines, journals and periodicals and online news sources, including, but not limited to, online versions of newspapers, magazines, journals and periodicals;
(2) Cable or Internet services;
(3) Online media players;
(4) Social networking services;
(5) Internet gaming services; and
(6) Other Internet subscriptions.
This bill requires a person that provides certain goods or services pursuant to a subscription to provide to a subscriber, at the time the subscription starts, information regarding how the subscriber may cancel the subscription; a secure, prominently displayed and easy-to-use method on the person's website that allows the subscriber to cancel the subscription immediately without having to send a letter by the United States Postal Service or other delivery service or to make a telephone call; and the option to cancel the subscription using the same method that was used to start the subscription. A violation of the provisions of the bill is a violation of the Maine Unfair Trade Practices Act.