An Act To Enhance Self-defense by Removing Restrictions on the Carrying and Use of Weapons
Sec. 1. 12 MRSA §11212, sub-§1, as amended by PL 2005, c. 477, §9, is further amended to read:
(1) A person may hunt migratory waterfowl from a motorboat in accordance with federal regulations;
(2) Paraplegics and single or double amputees of the legs may shoot from motor vehicles that are not in motion; and
(3) A person may shoot from a motorboat if that boat is not being propelled by its motor . ; and
(4) A person may shoot from a motor vehicle or motorboat in defense of life or property.
Sec. 2. 25 MRSA §2001-A, as amended by PL 2011, c. 691, Pt. A, §24, is repealed.
Sec. 3. 25 MRSA §2001-B is enacted to read:
§ 2001-B. Threatening display of dangerous weapon
A person may not, unless excepted by a provision of law, display in a threatening manner a firearm, slungshot, knuckles, bowie knife, dirk, stiletto or other dangerous or deadly weapon usually employed in the attack on or defense of a person.
Sec. 4. 25 MRSA §2004, sub-§2, as enacted by PL 2003, c. 452, Pt. N, §3 and affected by Pt. X, §2, is amended to read:
Sec. 5. 25 MRSA §2004, sub-§3, as enacted by PL 2003, c. 452, Pt. N, §3 and affected by Pt. X, §2, is repealed.
Sec. 6. 25 MRSA §2005, sub-§1, ¶B, as amended by PL 2003, c. 452, Pt. N, §4 and affected by Pt. X, §2, is repealed.
1. Removes the prohibition on having a loaded firearm or crossbow in a motor vehicle for a person other than a holder of a concealed weapons permit;
2. Provides the exception that a person may shoot from a motor vehicle or motorboat in the defense of life or property;
3. Removes the prohibition on concealing a dangerous weapon; and
4. Removes exceptions to the law prohibiting the carrying of a concealed dangerous weapon.