An Act To Amend the Requirements for Publishing Municipal Legal Notices
Sec. 1. 30-A MRSA §2007 is enacted to read:
§ 2007. Publication of legal notices
Notwithstanding Title 1, section 601, a municipal legal notice may be published using the following procedures.
This bill allows municipalities to publish legal notices either in a newspaper distributed by 3rd class mail or electronically as long as the municipal officers adopt a publication policy.
Under the alternative newspaper distribution option, the locally adopted policy must meet 2 requirements:
1. All households in the municipality must receive the alternative newspaper; and
2. The municipality must retain a record of all notices published in the alternative newspaper.
Under the electronic media distribution option, the locally adopted policy must meet 3 requirements:
1. More than 50% of all households in the municipality must subscribe to receive electronic notices;
2. Subscription must be provided at no cost; and
3. The municipality must retain a record of all notices distributed electronically.