An Act To Amend the Laws Governing the Maine Children's Growth Council
Emergency preamble. Whereas, acts and resolves of the Legislature do not become effective until 90 days after adjournment unless enacted as emergencies; and
Whereas, Congress enacted legislation reauthorizing the Head Start program in 2007; and
Whereas, the membership of the Maine Children's Growth Council must be amended in order to meet federal requirements; and
Whereas, in the judgment of the Legislature, these facts create an emergency within the meaning of the Constitution of Maine and require the following legislation as immediately necessary for the preservation of the public peace, health and safety; now, therefore,
Sec. 1. 5 MRSA §24001, sub-§3, as enacted by PL 2007, c. 683, Pt. A, §2, is amended to read:
(1) Three must represent statewide organizations or associations involved in early care and education programs, child care centers, Head Start programs, family child care providers, resource development centers, programs for school-age children, child development services, physicians and child advocacy;
(2) One must represent a law enforcement organization involved with children;
(3) One must represent an organization that works on community organization and mobilization;
(4) One must represent public health;
(5) One must represent the Maine Economic Growth Council; and
(6) One must represent a labor organization . ;
Sec. 2. 5 MRSA §24004, as enacted by PL 2007, c. 683, Pt. A, §2, is repealed.
Sec. 3. Funding. Expenses and per diem reimbursement for legislative members on the Maine Children's Growth Council may be funded from the legislative account for fiscal year 2009-10 but may not be funded for fiscal year 2010-11 or any subsequent fiscal year unless such funding is authorized by the Legislative Council.
Emergency clause. In view of the emergency cited in the preamble, this legislation takes effect when approved.