§1008. General duties
The general duties of the commission shall be: [1975, c. 621, §1 (NEW).]
1. Legislative ethics. To investigate and make advisory recommendations to the appropriate body of any apparent violations of legislative ethics;
[ 2007, c. 642, §3 (AMD) .]
2. Election practices. To administer and investigate any violations of the requirements for campaign reports and campaign financing, including the provisions of the Maine Clean Election Act and the Maine Clean Election Fund;
[ 2001, c. 430, §4 (AMD) .]
3. Ethics seminar. To conduct, in conjunction with the Attorney General and the Chair of the Legislative Council or their designees, an ethics seminar for Legislators after the general election and before the convening of the Legislature, in every even-numbered year. The Attorney General shall provide each Legislator with a bound compilation of the laws of this State pertaining to legislative ethics and conduct;
[ IB 1995, c. 1, §4 (AMD) .]
4. Lobbyist activities. To administer the lobbyist disclosure laws, Title 3, chapter 15, and enforce the waiting period required before former Legislators may engage in compensated lobbying as provided by section 1024;
[ 2013, c. 129, §1 (AMD) .]
5. Maine Clean Election Act and Maine Clean Election Fund. To administer and ensure the effective implementation of the Maine Clean Election Act and the Maine Clean Election Fund according to Title 21-A, chapter 14; and
[ IB 1995, c. 1, §6 (NEW) .]
6. Enhanced monitoring. To provide for enhanced monitoring and enforcement of election practices and the electronic submission of reports and computerized tracking of campaign, election and lobbying information under the commission's jurisdiction.
[ 2005, c. 301, §1 (AMD) .]
1975, c. 621, §1 (NEW). 1977, c. 337, §1 (AMD). 1989, c. 561, §§2,3 (AMD). 1993, c. 691, §§1-3 (AMD). IB 1995, c. 1, §§3-6 (AMD). 2001, c. 430, §4 (AMD). 2003, c. 20, §J1 (AMD). 2005, c. 301, §1 (AMD). 2007, c. 642, §3 (AMD). 2013, c. 129, §1 (AMD).